Thursday, October 15, 2009

Broadband as a right?

Well, Finland has decided that fast broadband access is a legal right that everyone should have. This amazes me, as, unless I am mistaken, even electrical service isn't a legal right here in the U.S. I mean, if you cant pay for it, you are not going to get it. And from my experiences growing up way, WAY out in the middle of BFE in southeast Texas, my grandparents and my parents had to PAY the electric company to come out and run the power that last half mile to where the house was. The only 'right' we had was the right to pony up the money.

Now don't get me wrong. I love my internet access. Its one of the few modern conveniences that I truly would not want to be without (along with microwaves and digital music). But a right to fast broadband access? I don't know. Seems like another reason to have another government agency to me.

3 comments:

  1. When I saw this on CNN's site this morning, I wondered if I had stumbled onto the onion by mistake. The world is just getting way to weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We think it's something you cannot live without in modern society." That's complete crap. *shakes head*

    ReplyDelete
  3. only thing is that some legislation passed some 10+ years ago to provide broadband to everyone (though I doubt the intent was for it to be FREE, just that it was THERE) and we've been taxed for it ever since, but it's never happened. And not some puny 1.5GB or 5GB but more like 50GB through.

    ReplyDelete